In 1997 J.K.Rowling released the first of a series of seven books that would go on to be a worldwide phenomenon.
The story tells the journey of a young boy called Harry Potter, im sure many of you know how the story started and why he is so special on these books. I can remember the first book, i had it read to me when i was around 5 years old. Ever since the first book i was hooked. As of June 2011 the series has sold 450 million copies and been translated into a huge 67 languages!
By the time the first film was released in 2001 many half of the series had already been completed, the films bought the books to life, the films have been a huge success. 7 books were written by Rowling, the last one was available on 21st July 2007. The book sold 15 million copies in 24 hours setting new records.
Many people grew up throughout there childhood reading these books, so when the 8th and final film came out earlier this summer, there was an air of excitement and also sadness amongst the millions of fans.
Here are some Harry Potter facts:
- Fred and George Weasley were born on April Fools' day.
- Witches and wizards have longer life-spans than Muggles.
- Dumbledore is 150, McGonagall is 70.
- To remove the tail that Hagrid gave Dudley in the hut on the rock, the Dursleys went to a private hospital where the staff was very discreet, and said that a wart had gone out of control.
- The number Mr. Weasley punches into the telephone to get into the Ministry of Magic, 62442, spells "MAGIC" on the phone pad.
- A witch or wizard's wand size is selected in direct proportion to their height. Hagrid is huge, and he has a 16-inch wand. Voldemort is tall, and he has a 13-inch wand. Ron is tall and he has a 14-inch wand. Harry is average height, and he has an 11-inch wand. Umbridge is extremely short, and her wand is described as being very short.
Harry Potter is over but i'm sure it will be read and watched for generations to come and will end up being a great series of novels such as Lord of the Rings.